By now you know that PDRA is all about educating and supporting the independent paint and decorating retailer. But we’re also big believers in building community and investing in the next generation.
That is why, with a new year upon us, we’re seeking nominations for the 8th annual PDRA Scholarship Program. One lucky student, who must be nominated by a PDRA member in good standing, will receive $5,000 towards their tuition. Candidates do not have to be relatives or employees, but must have reached the senior year of high school and cannot be over the age of 26.
By now, members of the PDRA should have received the scholarship packet and can nominate up to two candidates. Nominations and applications, which must include a personal essay, are due by Friday, March 4, 2016. ALL required materials MUST be received in the PDRA office by deadline to be eligible.
1. Candidates for the 2016 Paint & Decorating Retailers Association (PDRA) Scholarship must be nominated by a PDRA member in good standing. Nominations must be made in writing, addressed to:
PDRA Scholarship, c/o Paint and Decorating Retailers Association,
1401 Triad Center Drive, St. Peters, MO 63376
The nomination must set forth the name, address, age and telephone number of the candidate, the level of schooling to which the award will be applied (i.e., college, graduate school), and the name of the school or institution, if known, where he or she has been accepted or enrolled. The communication must also contain a statement of the general qualifications of the applicant. The nominating party should emphasize any facts that he or she feels might enlighten and inform the PDRA Board of Directors relative to the individual nominated. All nominations and scholarship applications, with the required essay, transcripts, and letters of recommendation, must be received at PDRA on or before Friday, March 4, 2016. PDRA members will be limited to nominating two (2) candidates.
2. To be eligible for the scholarship award, candidates:
A. Must be nominated by a PDRA retail member in good standing;
B. Must at the time of application be at least in the senior year of high school;
C. Must be no more than 26 years of age;
D. Must pledge to use scholarship award toward vocational, college or post-college studies;
E. May or may not be a relative of a PDRA member;
F. May or may not be an employee of a PDRA member.
Subject to the above requirements, any individual shall be eligible for the scholarship award.
3. The PDRA Board will make the award based upon character and a written essay. The Board reserves the right to investigate and verify any information or data submitted by the candidate.
4. The Board shall, in their absolute discretion, select the recipient of this award (to be known as the PDRA Scholarship Award).
5. Announcement of the award shall be communicated and publicized at PDRA’s annual trade show. The award will be in form of a check accompanied by such other means of recognition of the successful candidate’s status as may be prescribed by the Board. The Board reserves the right to make the award in the form of a check payable to the institution attended by the successful candidate.
6. The PDRA member who sponsors the winner will be asked to present the scholarship at the member’s place of business. An article will be published in Paint & Decorating Retailer magazine, and the PDRA member will receive round-trip airfare to the 2016 PDRA Paint & Accessories Show at the National Hardware Show in Las Vegas, and will be recognized at the show.