We all know how good it feels giving back to the community. But did you know that doing so can actually help your bottom line? According to a recent study, 62 per cent of small businesses that donated their time or money to a local charity saw further success at their store.
Not only can giving back increase sales, but it’s an excellent PR and networking tool. In addition to getting your name out there, volunteering and hosting events will give you the opportunity to build new relationships and meet potential customers. However, as many small businesses owners know, money and time can be tight. So to help you out, here are five cost-effective ways your small business can give back.
- Never underestimate the power of your expertise in the paint and decorating world. If your city or town is building a new library or community center and is looking for volunteers to help, your professional skills and knowledge in this industry will be much appreciated. Donating products or offering them at a discounted rate is another great way to get involved.
- Even if you don’t have the time to volunteer in your community, some of your staff members may. Encouraging employees to get involved in community organizations or events on behalf of your company will humanize your brand and help customers connect on a more personal level. As an added bonus, volunteerism will boost your company morale and build a stronger team. For every 20 hours your employees volunteer, you could reward them with awards or gifts!
- Another great way to give back to the community is to encourage employees and customers to make small donations while they’re at your store. As a group, you and your staff can choose an organization that you all love, respect and value. Employees can then contribute a portion of their paycheck or chip in with pocket change, while customers can add donations directly to their purchases. When you have a decent sum, you can all take pride in knowing you helped make a difference.
- As an independent retailer, you know firsthand how important it is to buy local and support small biz. If you’re looking for an incredibly easy way to give back to the community, simply shop local and encourage your staff to do the same. By purchasing everything from local shops and vendors, you’re putting your hard-earned money right back into the community while supporting the people around you.
- Holding a contest is one of the most fun and exciting ways to collect money for a great cause in your community. To get this going, have each employee choose a local charity and encourage them to fund raise for it. You can even encourage your customers to get in on the giving! Instead of winning a prize, the top fundraiser will earn the honor of donating all of the contributed money to their charity of choice. But if you want to give the winner a little more recognition for their accomplishment, you can’t go wrong with another gift!