As an independent business owner, we understand how hard it can be for you to leave your business at the end of the day – both physically and mentally.
Because your company’s success relies primarily on your hard work and dedication, it can seem like the only way to make business boom is to keep on hustling. But what if we told you that taking some time to relax every day could actually benefit your business? The fact of the matter is that when you’re feeling your best, you’ll be at your most efficient and productive – and a recharged battery is an important part of this equation.
So take a load off and check out these five tips for making downtime a top priority.
- When you leave work and arrive at home (or perhaps on your daily commute), the first thing you should do is debrief. Ask yourself what you think went well throughout the day and what is in store for tomorrow; but once you’ve answered these questions, let it go. By giving yourself a specific amount of time to think about business, you will be able to relish in your time off without feeling guilty or stressed.
- Being a hard worker is a great thing, but it’s equally important to nurture your relationships outside of the workplace. Spending quality time with friends and family is one of the best ways to not only relax, but to have a great time, too! Whether you schedule family dinner every night at 7 p.m or join a softball league, time away from work is best spent when you can focus entirely on something else.
- Exercise does much more than make your clothes fit better – it’s a fantastic way to relax, too! By working out for at least 30 minutes a day, whether running, boxing, weight lifting or swimming (or even walking), your body will release dopamine, which makes you feel happy and content. It won’t take long for the boost in your mood to begin paying dividends at work.
- While it’s great that you feel inspired by the industry you’re working in, a great way to feel relaxed is to pursue hobbies outside of your profession. Whether you join a rowing club or take a pottery class, having interests and activities to do outside of the workplace will help you feel satisfied and relaxed during your downtime. Also, the more interests you have outside of work, the more you’ll have to look forward to when retirement comes knocking.
- Getting enough sleep every night is a great way to make you feel rejuvenated when you’re not at work. Set a reasonable and consistent bed time that gives you anywhere between seven and nine hours of sleep per night to ensure you feel rested, relaxed and ready to face the next day with enough energy to be the best business owner you can be.